Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fahrenheit 451 4/16

This book has been getting more interesting as it goes on. I am on page 130 and I had to stop right in the middle of the climax. I personally think that Beatty is crazy for his actions and I am glad that he died. I am interested in seeing what happens with the hiding of the books in the fireman's house. I have only heard about good things about this book and I am interested in reading the end.

In class we were asked to do in-class writing. The writing was based off of books that have been banned out of several schools. We were asked if we knew any of these books and why we thought they were being banned. I responded by saying that I have seen and read many of these books, most of which where during my schooling experience. I think that these books were banned because of they controversial issues and make people face ideas that they fear. I think that a lot of people are afraid of change and are unwilling to see other peoples view points. Majority of them contradict what they say about their own personalities. "I am a well rounded person" is a commonly heard phrase. I think that majority of these people are only considered to be well rounded in their own cultures. If we do not see other people’s views than we are only considered what has been passed down upon our generations. Reading books allows us to capture what has happened through the past and recap on what people have learned through their experiences.

This leads to the next question that has been asked, “Do we really value books today?” I think that some people do value books today, but some of us do not. Being an inspiring educator, I often frown upon myself for not reading more books. I sometimes question why I am even here if I am not going to read the given material. To me college is no just about getting a degree, but to be the most qualified in your field. An educator, who is uneducated, is basically a person who is passing on his or her beliefs. If we do not value other people’s thoughts, which are written in books, we do not fully grasp the idea of mankind, humanity, and unity.

The book supports a society without books is a society in which people are unhappy. I am interesting in seeing how the book ends, so that I can see what other connections this book makes with our society.

3 comments:

  1. Fear is definitely the motivation behind censorship. Sadly fear can drive people to do radical and inhumane things. Like I said in class. All things in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that the fear people have is what's driving and actually banning the books. People are used to their own way and rituals and don't want to accept anything new, and with the fear factor, they just slam the door shut and don't accept them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to shield people from ideas, regardless of what they may be. A less educated society, is one that is easier to control and by not exposing more ideas to people they are in turn less educated. I also feel somewhat 'guilty' when I don't read a book that people say is 'really good' and a 'classic'.

    ReplyDelete